Saturday, July 15, 2006

My good friend Charles Brown-Roberts, who has left Knoxville for the golden sunshine of California, took these pictures while back for a visit and shared them with me before he left.

I'm a Maryville College man myself. But I have to say: I like the architecture of the main UT Library, as well as the way the terraced lawn goes with it.

He was in town for a software conference that was held at the Knoxville Convention Center, so he had a chance to take this nice picture of the grounds by the Center as they face our famous
1982 World's Fair Sunsphere.

Of course, it's pretty much impossible to look at the Sunsphere and not think of the Simpsons episode where Bart takes a joy ride to Knoxville and winds up knocking over the "Wigsphere". But crazy, unused landmark or not, I love this picture!

There was an exhibit at the Emporium Gallery at Gay Street and Jackson recently that allowed people to write notes on Sunsphere-shaped pieces of paper regarding their ideas for the future of our beloved giant golden golf ball.

You've gotta love artist types; many of the notes shared a perspective that I won't repeat in polite company! But it is a question worth asking:

What do you think we should do with the Sunsphere?

No comments: